Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Sick and Afflicted

Hiya! ( "hiya" is actually the word they use over here instead of
"hi") hope you are doing well! I somehow survived the first transfer
of my mission. I get a new companion tomorrow but I get to stay in
Sittingbourne. Sister Chiping is leaving, she got transferred to
Milton Keynes, and I am so so so sad about it. She has been such an
incredible trainer and I can't believe she has to leave now that we
have conquered the area. People know us on a name to name basis in
Sittingbourne. We walk down the street and everyone recognizes us.
Even the people who reject us can't get away from us, so we're all
just a big happy family now;)


We had a zone training meeting in Canterbury on Friday! Canterbury is
one of the gems of England, there is an ancient cathedral there that
looks like a castle. But welcome to England. That's just how it is,
you walk down the street and then "oh look, there's a castle." The
only downside to this week was that I got sick. When we were in
Canterbury I couldn't even speak because I didn't have a voice, my
zone took good care of me though, they really baby their greenies.
I've been joking round all week that I'm representing the sick and
afflicted. And the meeting was amazing! We stay true to our Canterbury
catch phrase, "greater love hath no zone than this".

On Sunday we brought 2 investigators (who are BRILLIANT) man I love
both of them. And it was fast and testimony meeting. I just have to
say one thing: British people are CRAZY. They basically just get up
there and start making fun of each other over the microphone. I would
have just found it amusing. But because of the investigators it was
both amusing and stressful. You have no idea what's going to come out
of their mouths or their minds. At one point an old man gave another
old man a piggy back ride to the pulpit. They should make Testimony
Meeting in the Gillingham 2nd Ward the movie. It's entertaining! We
taught a good gospel doctrine lesson for our investigators so they
were fine:) And then I had a terrible cough attack in relief society,
I feel a lot better now but I was very ill! Church this week was just
an absolute circus!

We had such a fantastic week. We have really made this area our own!
What's funny about Sittingbourne is that there are all of these
ancient churches within like a mile of our flat. There is a Methodist,
Baptist, and Catholic Church on the same street, and the buildings
have been there for centuries. They are so old and cool, they take my
breath away. And a lot of them have bell towers that ring out on
Sunday mornings. On our way to the library the other day we waved to
the priest, proud to be a Mormon. There were a lot of great teaching
appointments and our investigators never cease to amaze me, E made a
drawing of the steps of the gospel of Jesus Christ that we got a
picture of (If you look close you can see the big fluffy bear paw
slippers he always wears) and he did that on his OWN. The VC sisters
helped us with a Skype lesson with our Polish investigator so one of
them could translate! And last night we had the absolute best lesson
ever with our investigator L. There is a returned missionary from
Canada named Tim Brown who always comes teaching with us, and
seriously bless him. He is awesome. He came and taught L with us and
we had such a spiritual discussion and then we were able to just laugh
and enjoy each other's company. I'm so thankful for the friends I've
made here.
There is nothing better.


I'm so nervous and excited for this next transfer with a new
companion! Sister Chiping will ALWAYS have a special place in my
heart. I don't know what I'll do without my cute, tiny Asian sidekick!
We are going to spend the day with our district since both she and
Elder Nakaima got transferred:( We are going to Chatham so it will be
a super fun day. And as for the next six weeks, I'm so pumped to be
able to stay in the area that I love so much. It will be lovely! Have
a brilliant week!

XOXO
Sister Barnes





No comments:

Post a Comment